Scottish Parliament Petition
ForcesWatch and Quakers in Scotland submitted a petition to the Scottish Parliament to:
- scrutinise armed forces visits to schools in Scotland
- provide guidance on how such visits should be conducted
- ensure that parents are always consulted.
The petition is now being heard by the Scottish Parliament. See more info.
Raising the age of recruitment
ForcesWatch are working with Child Soldiers International to raise the age of armed forces recruitment in the UK from 16 to 18 years. See our work on thie issue here.
Please help our campaign by:
- ask your MP/MSP to sign these motions in parliament
- send your MP a copy of this parliamentary briefing (Child Soldiers International, 2016) which provides a concise summary of all the reasons why this policy needs to be changed. Use this website to find the email and postal address for your MP.
- taking one of the other actions suggested on the Child Soldiers International website
Challenging the military in schools
ForcesWatch are challenging the military's involvement in UK schools and colleges and the promotion of 'military ethos' within national education policy by the Department for Education. Please help us by:
- distributing our resources and information, including our film on the military and young people
- raising the issue with your school or college if you have reason to be concerned - see here for some advice on this
- get in touch with your experience - it is very helpful to hear about which is happening on the ground
- contact your MP with your concerns about the military's involvement in education. Use this website to find the email and postal address for your MP or email them directly here.
Edinburgh Peace and Justice are hosting a meeting of the Countering Militarisation of Young People Working Group on 12 December 2016, 6-8pm. Anyone interested in getting involved in countering military visits to schools and recruitment of under 18s is invited. See more
Share your news
Let us know of any activities you are working on or in your area about military activity in schools or challenging militarism. We can help spread the word.
Ask your MP and MSP to sign
Ask your MP to sign an Early Day Motion on The Recruitment of Minors into the UK Armed Forces.
If you are in Scotland, ask your MSP to sign the motions on the Medact Report on British Armed Forces Recruitment and on the British Army's Increased Intake of 16-year-olds
Book: confronting a culture of militarism
At a comfortable distance from warfare, our culture easily passes over its horrific reality in favour of an appealing, even romantic, spectacle of war. Yet, over the last decade, most Britons have opposed Western military ventures abroad. This book takes a fresh look at a culture of militarism in Britain, public resistance to it, and the government's prodigious efforts to regain control of the story we tell ourselves about war. See details & buy book
Watch our film on the miltary and young people
Why does the military have a 'youth engagement' policy and why is the government promoting 'military ethos' within education? What is the impact of military activities taking place in schools? This short film explores these questions and gives teenagers the opportunity to voice their reaction to the military’s interest in their lives.
Donate £36 or more
for a FREE COPY of our
book 'Spectacle, Reality,
a culture of militarism'
ForcesWatch relies on grants and donations to continue its work. A monthly donation of just a few pounds will help provide much needed funding for our activities. To donate make on online payment or send us a cheque. .
Stay in touch
Keep informed of our work through Facebook, Twitter or RSS. You can also sign up to our email lists. See more here